Restaurants and Other Food Premises
  Indigenous Health  
  Advance Care Planning  
  Community Care Licensing  
  Chronic Disease  
  End-of-Life Care / Hospice Palliative Care  
  Environmental Health  
  Health Alerts  
  Health Topics  
  Healthy Living & Communities  
  Home and Community Care  
  Hospital Services  
  Injury Prevention  
  Mental Health & Addictions  
  NH Connections (medical travel service)  
  Overdose Prevention  
  Pregnancy - Maternity - Babies  
  Primary Health Care  
  Public Health  
  Seniors Health  

Restaurants and Other Permitted Food Facilities

According to the Food Premises Regulation under the Public Health Act, a food service service establishment is a food premises in which food is processed, served or dispensed to the public, and intended for immediate consumption.  This will include facilities such as restaurants, cafes, diners, as pubs, caterers as well as food carts and trucks among others.  The regulation also states that all food service establishments must have a permit issued by a health officer. 

Environmental Health Officers ensure that food service establishments meeting all of the requirements off the food premises regulation prior to issuing a permit and conduct regular inspections to verify that they remain in compliance and safeguard public health.

Our inspection reports are publicly available and can be found at

Opening A New Facility

If you are planning to open a new food service establishment, please contact your local Environmental Health Officer prior to any construction work or modifications so that we can review your plans to ensure that they meet the requirements.  The general required documentation for a food service establishment include.

  • Application Form
  • Kitchen Schematic
  • Food Safety Plan
  • Sanitation Plan
  • Copies of FoodSafe Certificate

Please find below some documentation to get you started and please contact your local Environmental Health Officer